Schools out ( forever? )

The news continues to get blacker from my non-job, as has again delayed a return for my students.

On Saturday came the news from the Head Teacher that my students wouldn’t be returning until March 9, if not March 16.

Which of course further stretches my finances. An expected payday March 7 ( for February ) won’t now happen, and it’s possible that the birdie will again not sh*t on April 7 ( for March ).

My problem is that I committed to another three months here by sending my passport off to extend again my Visa. Having told the company that I wanted a 3-month extension @ USD$225, it is too late to back-peddle.

So I either throw away that sizeable investment, or make the best of a bad situation. A second investment was buying the scooter, avoiding rental costs.

I’m considering emailing the school threatening to do a runner, and begging as tactfully as possible for some kind of retainer. Which isn’t part of my nominally part-time contract.

The alternative is the make the best of a tough situation, and optimise the hell out of everything. I have managed to finagle a deal with the hotel whereby they reduce rent down to 4.2m VND from 4.5m VND, a saving of about $NZD 20 / month. It all counts.

I’m doing my level best to reduce power usage in my room, and am learning which quality meats and foods are cheapest ( chicken, fish, eggs ).

I’m putting in hours working online, which will almost cover costs. But being limited to one online platform, and with no guarantee of bookings even when I make myself available, it’s no sure bet.

With all that, and my finances dribbling down nearer a fare home plus nothing, I’m getting a little nervous, if the truth be told.

Testing times.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.